‘Ariana Grande’s ‘yes, and?’ Climbs Charts With Mixed Reviews

01.17.24
‘Ariana Grande’s ‘yes, and?’ Climbs Charts With Mixed Reviews (David Crotty/Patrick McMullan via Getty Images)

ChicagoPop queen Ariana Grande recently dropped her new single, “yes, and?”. She hopes the new music will get hype built for her upcoming album. Although we don’t know much about the new project, we do know it will likely be released this year and many fans are looking forward to it.

“yes, and?” has gained a lot (and I mean a LOT) of mixed reactions from fans and casual listeners alike. Some people love it, some people hate it. But there’s one thing everyone can agree on: it’s definitely catchy, and maybe even a bit addictive.

Some fans have criticized it for its early 2010’s pop vibe, saying it feels generic. “It sounds like a Macy’s ad,” one comment on TikTok said, comparing the song to music that’s been dubbed “corporate pop”: songs with simple beats that are repetitive, catchy, and are often played in the background of shopping malls and stores.

Others have pointed out the clear House genre inspiration. Grande sampled Madonna’s “Vogue,” giving the original track her own vocals and spin.

Even though some fans have been unimpressed with “yes, and?”, others love it.