‘Act ii: Cowboy Carter’ Review: An American Reclamation

“Yee, and I cannot stress this enough, Haw.” - Zipporah Pruitt

04.01.24
‘Act ii: Cowboy Carter’ Review: An American Reclamation (Getty Images)

Los AngelesBefore I start this review, I will take you on a trip back to a time similar, yet completely different, to the 90s. During this decade, country music had one of its biggest peaks ever with many singers going multi-platinum and women like Faith Hill, The Dixie Chicks (now known simply as “The Chicks”), and Shania Twain becoming powerhouses in their field. Sadly, the center could not hold and after the 9/11 tragedy, country music became more of a macho man-style affair with women being pushed out of Nashville. 

Through the years, country music has seen a massive resurgence with Morgan Wallen breaking Billboard album records and Luke Combs’ cover of Tracy Chapman’s “Fast Car” becoming a number-one hit. Like I said before, it's similar yet totally different. Now, Queen Bey has descended from her ornate throne to bless the ears of her hive with her new country album, “Cowboy Carter.” 

“Cowboy Carter” is not Beyoncé’s first foray into the genre as she has performed the song “Daddy Lessons” with The Chicks, but this is her first full-length album of the genre, chock full of interludes, features, and legendary guests such as Willie Nelson, Linda Martell, and Dolly Parton. The songs are amazing with one of the standouts to me being the opening track, “Ameriican Requiem” with its lush vocals and layered orchestral sounds making the song feel more like an ascension to a higher plane rather than a simple song. Another song that deserves its flowers is “Spaghettii”, which shows how Beyoncé’s rapping skills have evolved and the power in every bar that she spits. 

For a slower fare, there are also songs like “Daughter”, “Protector”, and her Beatles cover of “Blackbiird”, Also, let me talk about “Daughter” since it is one of the most beautiful songs of the album due to how it sounds like the tense music before a massive duel at high noon before “Spaghetti” comes into fire every bullet like a Gatling gun. Finally, I would be remiss to talk about the sensual slow jam of “Levii’s Jeans” with a crooning Post Malone feature and her new rendition of Dolly Parton’s “Jolene”. And Miley Cyrus is on this album too with her song “II Most Wanted”, yee-haw this album is stacked! 

This album is massive, but it is quality. Take your time to savor this, it is caviar and not a quick listen like her contemporary country alumnus. As country music is a heavily gate-kept genre by many traditionalists, it is a breath of fresh air to know that a Southern Black woman is reclaiming the genre for the people who first created it. The queen has done it again. 

5 stars out of 5. Saddle up, partners. I await her next tour and a potential act iii. 

Zipporah Pruitt, (she/her) is an L.A. homegrown journalist, who covers entertainment and culture. Follow her on X and Instagram: @zippzapps.