Content in partnership with True Star

Boygenius Shares the Importance of Music as Activism

05.11.23
Boygenius Shares the Importance of Music as Activism (Boygenius is made up of Phoebe Bridgers, Lucy Dacus, and Julien Baker)

Popular indie band Boygenius recently performed at Coachella for the festival’s 250,000 attendees. The group is comprised of acclaimed solo artists Phoebe Bridgers, Lucy Dacus, and Julien Baker — and the three of them are sharing with the world the importance of using music as activism.

During their set, the members shared a message to their trans fans — and for Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, according to The Desert Sun.

“If you’ve been following the tomfoolery in the news in Florida, Missouri… We want to say that trans lives matter and trans kids matter, we’re going to fight this and win,” said Dacus, with Bridgers adding, “F*** Ron DeSantis.”

It’s important to note that all three members of Boygenius are queer-identifying themselves, and they use their music to express that identity. The group formed after Bridgers, Dacus, and Baker bonded over shared experiences they had with growing up in Southern religious communities.

The name “Boygenius” is even a subtle fight against their experiences with oppression. It started as a joke on the trope of a “boy genius,” but then it stuck. Dacus told the New York Times in 2018, the name was a play on “boys and men we know who’ve been told that they are geniuses since they could hear, basically,” with the group channeling that trope through their creative process by acting like “the boy genius.”

Read more …

This guest post is in partnership with True Star Media.