The Root of Country Music

Is it time for Black country artists to get their shine?

02.26.24
The Root of Country Music (Grammy-winning country singer Allison Russell, winner of the "Best American Roots Performance", recently made headlines for not getting the respect she deserves as an artist in the industry. | Alberto E. Rodriguez via Getty Images for The Recording Academy)

AtlantaWith so much talk about country music, I hope during Black History Month, we don’t forget that country music originated from Black people. Country music is deeply rooted in Black culture, coming straight from the South in the early 1800s, originating with blues and West African music traditions. Black artists are still out here doing their thing in the music industry — specifically the country sector — and I’m not only talking about the legendary Beyoncé and her recent bomb single drops.

I’m sure we all share the same sentiment when I say that, Beyoncé gave us all a run for our money when she announced a new country album, Renaissance: act ii during the Super Bowl. The album, which is to be released on March 29, is a continuation of her Renaissance project, which began in 2022 with a dance-music-inspired album. Beyoncé’s new singles, “Texas Hold ‘Em” and “16 Carriages,” hit the nail on her versatility and talent as an artist as she blends country and R&B. Specifically in, “Texas Hold ‘Em” we hear the banjo played by folk star Rhiannon Giddens, which further lets the world know Black presence will always run deep no matter the genre.

Excitement aside, Beyoncé isn’t the only Black artist who is taking it upon herself to reclaim country music, a genre that often excludes and ignores Black contributions. Artists like Allison Russell, Lil Nas X, Darius Rucker, Brittany Spencer, Kane Brown, K Michelle, and Joy Oladokun are a few that come to mind.