Gen Z DJ Celebrates 40 Years of House Music

DJ Ameer Brooks, a New Jersey-born house music fan, brought his talent to Chicago to celebrate four decades of house music at the annual Chosen Few picnic weekend.

07.12.24
Gen Z DJ Celebrates 40 Years of House Music (DJ Ameer Brooks | Kaija Billingslea for YR Media)

Ameer Brooks, known as DJ Ameer, started DJing at 7 as a hobby. 

The 23-year-old from the East Coast is self-taught and got started scratching records when he received his first DJ controller for Christmas.

“I started doing different parties and in 8th grade, I started doing it more publicly since I was about 14,” said the New Jersey native. “I do mostly house music [genre] and then I started to do hip-hip. But once I got into house, I couldn’t stop. 

His house music sets grabbed the attention of several world-renowned DJs, including the Chosen Few DJs in Chicago. He was invited as a guest DJ a few years ago for their annual Chosen Few Picnic activities that’s usually during the Fourth of July weekend, and also during Thanksgiving in 2017.

This year, for the 40th anniversary of House Music, DJ Ameer was asked again to come to Chicago and share his craft and love for house music during a Chosen Few Picnic weekend pre-party.

“I sleep and breathe house music. It feeds my soul. I’ve had the opportunity to play all types of music and house was the only one where afterwards, I felt something. I always feel something playing it, you know,” he said. 

Brooks’ parents are huge house music fans so his affinity for the genre runs deep. He basically was born a house head.

When asked what it is about the house music that speaks to him, he said it’s the overall theme that exudes from the music when played.

“The music has a message of love. You know, it’s not violent music. I think it’s something that puts me at peace and it’s about acceptance and freedom,’ he said.

While he’s had the chance to DJ for a Chosen Few event for the second time, this year will be his first time attending the picnic on Saturday.

“It’s humbling to be in that position because a lot of people would kill to be in the position and I definitely want to make sure that I don’t take it for granted,” said Brooks.

Two hits that are a must-have for each set he plays:

• “The Love I Gave” by David Morales 
  • “How He Works” by Louie Vega

Kaija Billingslea (she/her) is a Chicago-based journalist who attends an HBCU in Mississippi.

Edited by Kathy Chaney