Gen Z Among House Music Fans at Chosen Few Picnic

Chicago’s Jackson Park was packed Saturday for the annual Chosen Few DJs Picnic. Gen Z lovers of house music sprinkled the crowd of more than 50,000 who traveled from around the globe to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the genre.

07.14.24
Gen Z Among House Music Fans at Chosen Few Picnic (Chosen Few DJs Picnic at Jackson Park in Chicago | YR Staff)

Nonstop house music for 14 hours? What could be better???

For house music lovers worldwide, July is that one time each year you come together, specifically to Chicago, to enjoy a genre that’s celebrating its 40th year.

The Chosen Few DJs — Mike Dunn, Andre Hatchett, Tony Hatchett, Terry Hunter, Alan King, Jesse Saunders and Wayne Williams — have held the Chosen Few DJs Picnic and Festival for more than 30 years. The attendance was small in the early years and has grown to more than 50,000.

Each year, Chicago-born celebrities make their way home to enjoy the full day of music and fellowship. This year, actress LisaRaye McCoy and comedian and actor Deon Cole graced the stage on Saturday to dance along to the music. And for most who don’t know, Cole is also an emerging DJ. He started doing house music sets on Instagram Live during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The love for house music in Chicago dates back to the 1970s at The Warehouse and the world-renowned DJ Frankie Knuckles. Knuckles, affectionately known as the “Godfather of House Music,” would spin his mixes nonstop and wow legions of house heads, from teens to adults.

Over the last 15 years, house heads, as die-hard fans are affectionately called, brought their kids. Those kids, who were now mostly young Millennials and Gen Z, have a deeper appreciation for the music as it was played more than often in their households. And over the last five years, young DJs — including DJ Ameer, Babydoll and J Star — have added house music to their sets.

Chosen Few DJ Mike Dunn (right) talks DJ Ameer (center) on stage during the Chosen Few Picnic and Festival in Chicago, July 13, 2024. | Kaija Billingslea for YR Media

DJ Ameer and J Star were invited by the Chosen Few DJs to play at picnic’s pre-parties this year. 

Kaija Billingslea (she/her) is a Chicago-based journalist who attends an HBCU in Mississippi.

Edited by Kathy Chaney