7 Black Queer Musicians You Need in Your Rotation

Check out this Spotify playlist of next-generation artists who are changing the game.

06.28.24
7 Black Queer Musicians You Need in Your Rotation (Destin Conrad | Getty Images)

As we end this eventful month, we celebrate the LGBTQIA+ community and Black Music Month. Some of the most influential pop culture trends, fashion and music pioneers derive from a creative community that identifies as both. And to appreciate the next-generation artists who are changing the game, here are several Black and Queer musicians you need in your rotation. 

Amaare

Ghanaian-American musician Amaare is known for her airy falsetto tone and fusing genres to create upbeat dance tracks. Her signature mix of afro-beats and pop music was prominent on her latest hit album, “Fountain Baby”

Destin Conrad

R&B isn’t dead, and Destin Conrad can sing to prove it. The 23-year-old has an unforgettable sultry voice and knows how to make a catchy hook, but you might also recognize him as having an attractive sense of humor. The singer gained popularity for making comedic short videos when “Vine” was at its peak.

Blood Orange

Fluidity and its finest. Devyn Hynes, also known as Blood Orange, has been able to ebb and flow his musical work and sexuality. His lyricism is centered around vulnerability, aiming to connect the modern indie pop fans. 

UMI

American singer/songwriter Umi has a love for making music that heals the soul. Finding self-love and coming to terms with her identity, through the genre of Neo-soul is just as comforting as it sounds.

Serpentwithfeet

Visuals to the song, “four ethers,” shows detail oriented Serpentwirhfeet is. The layers to unpack throughout the Maryland singer’s discography are worth it. 

Kaytranda

The king of summertime house music is a must-have on your playlist! The Canadian producer and DJ have worked with some of your favorite artists from Victoria Monét, Childish Gambino, Kali Uchis, and many more. 

SkaiWater

People like Skaiwater are a breath of fresh air. The non-binary rapper expressed how melodies were the hardest part of self-producing in their interview with Our Generation Music even though that’s how his sound became viral on TikTok. Before the British musicians dropped their debut album “#Gigi,” features with Lil Uzi Vert and Lil Nas X were already secured!

Sydney Wanguhu, (she/her) is from The Bay Area and is an L.A.-based journalist who covers entertainment and culture. Follow her on Instagram & Spotify: @sydneyy._.