Seven Songs to Get Summer Started

Summer officially starts June 21. Until then, enjoy these tunes as you get into your vacation break.

06.07.23
Seven Songs to Get Summer Started (Jorja Smith | Steve Jennings via Getty Images)

The temperature around the country is starting to rise and you know what that means, summer is around the corner! For some good vibes when you’re soaking in some sun, here is a compilation from some of YR Media favorites including Jorja Smith, Kaytramine and more!

“Little Things” - Jorja Smith

British vocalist Jorja Smith has set a vibrant and lively tone for summer with her new song “Little Things.” Jorja simply describes her latest tune as what she imagined herself hearing as she's walking into a party. The single is a sneak peak into her album that's said to be released Sept. 29, titled “Falling or Flying”.

“Sossaup”- Kaytramine, Amarraa

Kaytranada and Amine, a duo I’ve anticipated, recently released their collab album Kayatramine. “Sossaup” is the 7th track on the album featuring Ghanaian singer Amarraa who adds fun adlibs and seamlessly switches up her flow three times on the rhythmic beat produced by Kaytranada.

“FAMJAM400”- Jordan Ward

Reminiscing about his hometown and what life was like before his on-coming success, St. Louis musician Jordan Ward shares his coming of age story through good vibes over melodic keys. Throughout his latest album “Forward,” Ward is consistent with delivering those feel-good-vibes.

“Linda”- Tokischa, ROSALIA

Dominican rapper Tokischa and Spanish vocalist Rosalia come together for some reggaeton vibes on their single “Linda.” The song is dance worthy and shows off their close friendship as they give each other shoutouts during their verses calling each other “pretty.”

“FANTAZIA”- Roy Blair

Filled with ecstatic instrumentals and electronic vocals, Roy Blair plays around with autotune for a fun effect. The five-minute song will have you up and dancing every time.

“Egyptian Luvr”- Rejjie Snow

Irish rapper Rejjie Snow has a mellow flow on “Egyptian luvr” featuring Amine and Dana Williams. With simple lyrics and during the catchy pre-chorus, the song is definitely meant for a windows down type-of- drive.

“Girl Next Door” - Tyla, Arya Starr

Africa’s Princesses got together for a girls anthem! Arya stands out noticeably on the track with her unique voice as Tyla’s harmonies maintain her signature feminine touch with the heavy bass and drums. Their new song fuses Amapiano and afrobeats showing love to both of the countries they’re from, Nigeria and South Africa.

Sydney Wanguhu, (she/her) is from The Bay Area and is an LA-based journalist who covers entertainment and culture. Follow her on Instagram: @sydneyy._