Naomi Osaka’s Back, But This Time With a Book

12.14.22
Naomi Osaka’s Back, But This Time With a Book (Araya Doheny via Getty Images)

BostonThe four time-Grand Slam champion authored a children’s book “The Way Champs Play," in hopes that she would inspire readers to find their voice, explore their passions and encourage children to embrace everyday as “a new adventure.” 

In recently celebrating her 25th birthday, the athlete has been following the same philosophy in this new chapter.

“Every year, I learn a new lesson,” Osaka said. “One thing I’ve learned is that it’s powerful to be unique, and there’s a power in just knowing that you’re the only you in the world is something I try to tell myself everyday.” 

Osaka announced that she would not participate in her French Open press obligations due to mental health reasons. 

According to the official Grand Slam rulebook, players are mandated to attend post-match media conferences unless they are injured or physically unable to appear. Those who don't could be subjected to pay up to $20,000. 

Osaka was fined $15,000 with potential expulsion from the tournament by the French Tennis Federation, prompting her to completely withdraw from the French Open.

In the statement announcing and explaining her decision to step back from tennis indefinitely back in 2020, Osaka revealed how she’s dealt with “long bouts of depression” since participating in the 2018 U.S. Open. 

Reflecting on her own journey, as well as the experiences of other athletes such as Simone Biles in the 2020 Olympics and Serena Williams, who recently retired from tennis to prioritize her family, Osaka believes in speaking up for what is right.

“Everyone has different journeys and different paths and it’s all unique to us.” Osaka said. “I wanted to make sure I didn’t shy away from issues that were heavy in my heart.”

To gratify her ever growing curiosity and willingness to try new things, Osaka has created KINLÒ, a skincare line for melanated skin.

Inspired by the athlete’s multicultural background, “KINLÒ” is derived from both the Japanese and Haitian words for “gold.” 

“It’s been fun, it’s been a process, I’ve learned a lot during the creation of Kinlo,” Osaka said. “The education process of it all is really interesting.”

Osaka's mission with KINLÒ is to educate others on proper sun protection and initiate discussions centering the health risks associated with melanated skin tones, offering clean and nourishing products.