Netflix To Really Crack Down on Password Sharing

Does Netflix need to chill? Pun intended.

10.24.22
Netflix To Really Crack Down on Password Sharing (STR/NurPhoto via Getty Images)

ChicagoWith the recent decline in subscribers, Netflix felt it necessary to rectify this issue. According to macrumors.com, starting in 2023 it will begin to regulate the sharing of passwords. It will create “sub accounts” or “extra members” accounts. Each account will get a login and profile that will be personalized to that specific user. With this new addition you will no longer have access to anyone’s Netflix account who doesn’t live in the same home as you, without paying a fee. 

But will change harm Netflix more?

Considering their competitors — Hulu, Disney+, HBO Max — and many other streaming services, don’t charge for extra accounts, users may decide to not use Netflix. Last October, Netflix raised prices by $1 to $2 depending on the monthly plan, excluding price raises for the basic plan. Earlier this year, Netflix raised the basic plan by $1 as well, making the lowest plan at $9.99 and the highest plan total $19.99. Each of the plans included an incentive such as HD, 4k Ultra HD, and use of more screens at one time. Is the price increase worth their services?