Nikki Lynette’s ‘Get Out Alive’

Chi-Town singer shares her life struggles in stage play and movie.

08.26.22
Nikki Lynette’s ‘Get Out Alive’ (Provided by True Star)

ChicagoChicago singer Nikki Lynette recently took to the stage of the Den Theatre in Wicker Park to showcase yet another one of her many talents — acting. Her show, “Get Out Alive,” which she wrote and produced, puts a spotlight on depression and anxiety and teaches you that it's okay to not be okay. 

She caught the attention of the audience by starting off the show singing a song while she painted a picture. Other visuals included images displayed from a projector and handwritten signs, one of which said 1 of 5 people suffer from a mental illness.

“I started writing this play during my suicide recovery,” said Nikki Lynette. “When I was in the mental hospital I was ready to leave. People told me when I was in there I was rocking back and forth with a towel on my head yelling. This is what kept me in there longer. At this point I knew it was time for change. I wanted to be there for my mother who had cancer at the time.”