Noname Addresses the State of the Union in Her Latest ‘Song 33’

06.19.20
https://youtu.be/NFp1eW2bihg

Noname surprised fans with the surprise drop of “Song 33,” in which the Chicago rapper responds to J. Cole's “Snow on Tha Bluff.” Although J. Cole doesn’t explicitly say who he’s rapping about, many people on Twitter had come to the conclusion he is referring to Noname. 

In the song, J. Cole shares that he’s frustrated, rapping “She mad at the celebrities, lowkey I be thinkin' she talkin' 'bout me/ Now I ain't no dummy to think I'm above criticism/ So when I see something that's valid, I listen/ But shit, it's something about the queen tone that's botherin' me.”

Noname has quickly responded to his criticisms on her new track. She raps, “He really 'bout to write about me when the world is in smokes?/ When it's people in trees?/ When George was beggin' for his mother, saying he couldn't breathe, you thought to write about me?” Noname also speaks on the death of Oluwatoyin Salau, and trans women and abolishing the police on the track.

Many artists, including J. Cole, have rallied behind Noname's Madlib-produced track. In just 70 seconds, Noname concisely addressed the issues behind J. Cole's distraction of a record, ultimately urging folks to focus on the revolution at hand.