‘One Million Yen Girl’ Coming-of-Age Resonates With Many

The film taught me to look inward as I grow into independence. -YR Media’s Siah Brawley

04.04.24

Being a high school senior has posed a challenge for me as far as change goes. Being at a pivotal point in my life comes with a series of unknowns and has been accompanied by an affinity towards not having to face it all. But one film changed the way I approached these changing times.

Japanese filmmaker Yuki Tanada’s “One Million Yen Girl” (2008) follows 21-year-old Suzuko Sato, a lead unaccepted by her community. In a last-ditch effort to gain control over her life and reputation, Suzuko decided to save exactly one million yen and leave town to have new experiences different from those she had felt confined to.

As someone who is also about to go on and take on new experiences away from home through college and new responsibilities, this movie resonated with me and helped form my mindset toward those realities. Sato’s character exemplifies someone who, while on a path of self-discovery, makes mistakes and learns from them. This is expressed in such a raw way. It shows that not everything is ideal, that life isn't always on an upward bound, and that growth is a journey.

While it may prove easier to escape what we are feeling, as Sato did at first, we should realize that our experiences are what shape us. In providing that message, 1 million yen girl has allowed me to consider that my experience growing up so far has set me up to take on what's ahead — leaving me with an excited attitude about what I will experience moving forward. 

The director, Yuki Tanada, holds importance in showcasing young female experiences through her lead characters. And there’s something that feels refreshing to see someone go on endeavors without the burden of societal expectation. Additionally, the main character Suzuko, isn't an idealized portrayal of what growing up is. She is a character who makes mistakes and has flaws. This is expressed in such an honest way. life isn't always on an upward bound and lastly, and most importantly, sometimes you have to lose yourself to find yourself again.

Throughout the film, Suzuko faces a series of unexpected events, from a surprise roommate to troubles with a coworker. Running away led Suzuko to find her purpose without the stigma she faced at home. But this wasn't enough to find herself. It wasn't until she sat with her past mistakes that her future unfolded in front of her.

There is a Greek philosophy that states “The only constant is change” but what will remain the same, like Suzuko realized, is that I have myself through that change. My Initial fears about growing up like how Suzuko was scared to face herself and how that has turned to acceptance and an appreciation of what one goes through.

My community has shaped me, and the people and places Suzuko went to, shape how she felt about herself similarly.

“I would like to stand on my own two feet and face the world”- One Million Yen Girl

Siah Brawley (she/her) is a high school senior with an interest in media and culture.