Turning the Digital Page: Finding Joy in Reading

As a young adult, it's been difficult for Eli Borowsky to finish an entire book. But he finally found a tool to help him enjoy reading again.

08.22.24
Turning the Digital Page: Finding Joy in Reading (Getty Images)

As a child, I loved to read. But as a I got older, I got busier with work, extracurriculars and school — stopping me from reading on my own time.

I committed to reading more for the past year, but it wasn’t work out. I found holding a physical book too cumbersome. So I switched to reading PDFs on my phone. But I would always end up getting distracted by social media.

Recently, however, I stumbled across the idea of using an e-reader, which has helped me immensely. Now, reading has become essential in my weekly agenda.

In just one month, I’m already 11 volumes into “One Piece” and exploring other novels as well. Books allow me to process what is being shown to me at my own pace, and this makes me more motivated to return to them.

When I find a topic I’m interested in, I feel unsatisfied watching a video essay or listen to a podcast. Reading has provided me with more information than other forms of media. It helps me learn even more about my interests and experience stories in a more personal way.

Eli Borowsky (he/him), is a young journalist from Oakland, California.

Edited by Amber Ly