‘Percy Jackson and the Olympians’

Did the new show keep the same spirit as the books?

02.01.24
‘Percy Jackson and the Olympians’ (Courtesy of Disney+)

Upon the release of “Percy Jackson and the Olympians,” on Disney+, the words of fans have become widespread on the internet. With the show reaching over 13.3 million views in the first six days of its premiere, it became record-breaking. 

“Percy Jackson and the Olympians” follows the story of a 12-year-old (Percy) who tries to adjust to his new reality after discovering that his father is a Greek God, making himself a demigod. 

Some fans complain that the show isn't book accurate. Others argue that if the show were not to veer from the books, it wouldn't be its own creation. Seeing young actors bring the familiar characters of Percy Jackson, Annabeth Chase, etc. to life, Following the previous Percy Jackson movies, leaves Fans with the fresh new feel that the adaptation brings. 

The question of what it means to be book-accurate has been a current discussion. While the arcs remain the same, Some parts stray from being exactly like the books. So are these changes detrimental to the story? Or do they work after all?

@cameronsilas My mid-season thoughts on the Percy Jackson show😳😳😳 #percyjackson #percyjacksonandtheolympians #percyjacksonseries ♬ original sound - Cam🦋

Interested in gaining a fan’s perspective, I discussed some of the likes and dislikes of the new series with my friend Rowan Astorquia, 17. She has been a fan of the Percy Jackson series since childhood. During our talk, Astorquia often exclaimed that she recommended it — however, some of the points that she made were not so positive. 

”The first two episodes contain expositions where the background is given to Percy early on. Instead of Percy finding certain things out for himself, as he did in the book,” she said. This was a change she wasn't excited about.

She understood why some complain about change, but also understood that the few omissions benefit the television structure since screenplay is a different process than writing a book. 

Astorquia gave some final consideration because the book was released in 1994, and some of the references made in the book are outdated. She said these references “should not be included in 2024.”

Overall, Astorquia felt that change is somewhat positive when it comes to the differences between the series and the books. However, adapting to times and filmmaking technicalities, there can be room for improvement. That doesn't necessarily ruin Percy Jackson's merit. 

Siah Brawley (she/her) is a high school senior with an interest in current media and culture.