‘Power Alley’ is a Real-Life Horror

Brazilian film “Power Alley” shows suspense surrounding reproductive rights.

06.29.24
‘Power Alley’ is a Real-Life Horror (Courtesy of Frameline48)

From faulty hormone shots taken in locker rooms to pissing from freeway overpasses — Brazilian filmmaker Lillah Halla thrilled audiences at the Oakland LGBTQ+ Frameline Festival with her fearless directorial debut, “Levante (Power Alley)”.

“Power Alley” is a suspense-filled drama that tackles one of today’s most divisive issues. The movie follows 17-year-old Sofia, who is faced with an unwanted pregnancy the night before her championship volleyball game. Taking place in São Paulo, where abortion is criminalized, Sofia seeks illegal termination — aided by her kind father and ferocious possé of queer friends, teammates, and lovers. 

With her future as a star athlete on the line, Sofia knows for certain that she can’t have this baby. As she searches for a solution, Sofia becomes a target of far-right conservatives who are determined to stop her at any cost. “Power Alley” transforms into a real-life horror when Christian zealots in her community begin to torment and stalk her.

The bond Sofia shares with her teammates shines a much-needed light on an otherwise bleak situation. It’s fierce, and it’s unlikely that there is a length they wouldn’t go to for one another. They are a generally fluid bunch — be that regarding sexuality, gender expression, or the forms in which they love each other — a stark contrast to the traditional, herd-mentality of the village that frequently oppresses them. 

Through exploration of the complexities of queer, feminine friendship as well as familial trials, “Power Alley” reminds us that joy is a political tool, and arguably one of the most valuable. In the face of legislative oppression, all we have is each other. 

As threats to reproductive rights remain a global issue, “Power Alley” exemplifies the true nature of an anti-choice society — termination procedures go on regardless, just under more dangerous circumstances. 

“Power Alley” was part of Frameline48, the world’s largest and longest-running LGBTQIA+ film festival in San Francisco and Oakland.

Piper Stuip (she/her), is a student at Oakland School for the Arts focusing on creative writing.

Edited by Nykeya Woods and shaylyn martos