Penny Grows Up ‘Proud’

There haven't been any adjustments made to the original cast, but for the early 2000s bunch, the theme song has been revamped.

02.23.22
Penny Grows Up ‘Proud’ (Dave Kotinsky via Getty Images for BET)

Alabama; Troy“The Proud Family” returns Wednesday, nearly 20 years later, with a reboot on Disney+, “Proud Family: Louder And Prouder.” The Disney Channel classic aired from 2001 to 2005 and was its first animated original series. The show, highlighting Black culture, followed the adventurous life of pre-teen Penny Proud with her family and friends.

In the reboot, Penny Proud (Kyla Pratt) is becoming a woman, but her dad Oscar (Tommy Davidson) doesn’t want her to grow up. New characters like Disney Channel alum KeKe Palmer joins the cast as Maya, the new girl at school, and EJ Johnson voices MIchael, a member of the LGBTQ+ community.  

EJ Johnson (David Crotty/Patrick McMullan via Getty Images)

Fans can expect stories that involve social media, peer pressure and adolescence. My favorite episode is the one about social media influencers because it showcased how it can be good and bring exposure to your talents, or it could be bad and ruin relationships with your peers.