Queering the Classic Christmas Movie

Most of the time holiday movies stick to the same formula, but sapphics like me deserve grand finales too.

12.25.23
Queering the Classic Christmas Movie (Getty Images)

Boulder, COLesbians love the holidays, but the holidays have not always loved us back. This is especially true when it comes to Christmas movies. Most of the time holiday movies have a very strong formula that they stick to: Girl comes from the big city, falls in love with a boy, then changes her whole life. Even though this is starting to change, we have a long way to go. 

Queer representation in film as a whole is rather bleak — as queer and transgender characters only make up 10.6% of those who are regulars in broadcast series. Christmas movies often only portray non-LGBTQIA+ relationships. 

During the holidays my mom and I love watching movies together, especially Christmas movies with themes related to family and joy. But when sapphics aren’t represented in the media, it sends a message that people like me don't deserve those same things. 

However, representation in holiday movies is changing. The 2015 film “Carol” is about two women who fall in love and fight to be together despite society's standards. This movie showcases how a different type of love story can fit into the holiday season.

There is still a long way to go in terms of representation — seeing more LGBTQIA+ people in all movies is important. And I would especially love to see more sapphics in Christmas movies. 

Emma Schulman (she/they), is a student journalist majoring in political science at the University of Colorado Boulder.

Edited by shaylyn martos