Content in partnership with Washington Square News

Finding Nostalgia Through Noodles

If you’re tired of cup noodles from Sidestein, try these homemade ramen recipes.

03.30.23
Finding Nostalgia Through Noodles (Getty Images)

New York City, NYby Kaisei Arai

This story was originally published on New York University’s Washington Square News.

As a Japanese person, ramen holds a special place in my heart. While ramen is often consumed in the United States in the form of instant packets, it has a far richer, deeper history than what many might assume. Ramen has been a staple in Japanese cuisine since the early 20th century, and has countless regional variations which reflect the culinary diversity of Japan. The dish, for me, is a comfort food that not only evokes a sense of personal nostalgia for me, but is also a reminder of my own heritage.

Ramen has three main components that create a culinary experience that is unmatched. The rich broth, chewy noodles and perfectly cooked toppings produce a layered aroma that reminds me of home. There are several different ways to add more flavor to your ramen — some of the most common flavorings come from tonkotsu — or pork-bone broth — miso, salt, and soy sauce. As for the noodles, one can choose from a variety of types, with their own thickness, texture, and base ingredients.

My personal favorite is Hakata-style ramen, which is characterized by its rich and milky pork-bone broth full of umami flavor. The noodles used in Hakata-style ramen are thin and straight, with a firm and chewy texture. I like to cover the entire surface of the ramen bowl with chashu pork slices and top it off with an ungodly amount of red pickled ginger.

Growing up, I have fond memories of enjoying a warm bowl of ramen with my family and friends. Some of my favorite moments involved sharing a steamy bowl of ramen with my mother and having a friendly argument over which ramen noodle stiffness is best. Eating ramen with anyone can make the most mundane day so much better, because it encourages conversation and connection.

Now, as a college student, ramen is a dish that I continue to cherish. Whether it’s the midst of summer or a frigid winter day, I am always down to inhale a steaming hot bowl of ramen. For me, ramen is more than just a comfort food — it’s a connection to my roots, and the perfect cure for my hunger.

Read the rest of the story at Washington Square News.