Ranked: Bad Movies

Please take a moment of silence for Twilight. Gone from Netflix but never forgotten.

02.07.22
Ranked: Bad Movies (Illustration by Manasa Gudavalli via Washington Square News)

New York City, NYby Sabrina Choudhary

This story was originally published on New York University’s Washington Square News.

Nothing brings me joy like bad movies. To be completely honest, I don’t think I watch them ironically at this point: Trashy movies genuinely make me happy. I even took a class on bad taste — which is what I have, apparently.

Listen, I’m not a Tischie. If you want to hear about good movies, read an Arts article.

Anyway, before I get to the ranking, let me explain my framework. The way I see it, movie quality works like a parabola. On one side, you’ve got good movies. On the other, you’ve got so-bad-they’re-good movies. Where it touches the X axis are the ones that are bad but not egregious enough to be entertaining. You know, the ones that allow you to feel your brain cells dying one by one. Don’t waste your time on them!

Now, without further ado, here are some noteworthy films you can stream today. Watch them with friends! 

5. “Tall Girl” (Netflix)

This one is a perfect example of the mediocrity zone. Yes, it’s bad, and yes, it’s funny, but you can get a lot more bang for your buck elsewhere. That said, it still makes the list because I managed to write an eight-page midterm paper on it for my aforementioned class on bad taste. 

Read the rest of the story at Washington Square News.