Shangela Makes History As First Drag Queen On ‘Dancing With The Stars’

09.19.22
Shangela Makes History As First Drag Queen On ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (Matt Winkelmeyer/WireImage via Getty Images)

New York City, NYDrag performer Shangela Salsas made history as the first drag queen to compete on the latest season of the hit competition show “Dancing with the Stars.”

At the show’s 31st season premiere, the former “RuPaul’s Drag Race” contestant performed with Gleb Savchenko to “When I Grow Up” by the Pussycat Dolls.

The pair received seven from all four judges resulting in the fourth highest score of the night out of the 16 other contestants. 

“I hope that we show people that it’s all about the heart and soul of who you are as a person,” Shangela told People. “It doesn’t matter if it’s two men dancing together, if it’s a man or a drag entertainer like myself dancing together. It’s about the spirit of dance and the fun, and the ability to connect and to learn more about other people’s worlds.”

Shangela hopes that being the first drag queen on the show opens the door for many others to have the same opportunity. 

Shangela went to Instagram after the performance to further appreciate all the love and support the duo received.“I wanted to deliver y’all a moment that was worthy of all ur [your] love and support, and also show people that might not be familiar or loving of drag queens, that we belong, and we know how to Turn The Party,” Shangela wrote on Instagram.