‘Shirley’ is a History Lesson That Came Right on Time

“Shirley” was the perfect movie to close out Women's History Month, especially during such a vital election year.

03.27.24
‘Shirley’ is a History Lesson That Came Right on Time (Regina King as Shirley Chisholm in "Shirley". | Glen Wilson via Netflix © 2023)

BaltimoreShirley Chisholm was a trailblazer who fought for race and gender equality while pushing the needle of what the norm looked like in politics. Not only was she the first Black woman in Congress (1968) where she introduced more than 50 pieces of legislation but she was also the first woman and African American to seek the nomination for president of the United States from one of the two major political parties (1972). Netflix brought her story to life with the biopic, “Shirley,” which is now streaming.

The proud Brooklyn, New York native was a major advocate against racial discrimination and disparities, an issue she dealt with during her political career. Unafraid to open the door to the unknown,  Chisholm was dedicated to being a politician for the people by the people. As shown in the two-hour film, she was the poster for hope and progression for women and people of color. Often questioned why and how Chisholm responded why not. Her outspoken attitude untimely changed the way women in politics were seen and has since broken down many barriers for women of all colors who have come after her. 

The film focused on Chisholm’s (Regina King) start in politics rather than her upbringing and childhood. It opens when Chisholm joins Congress, and then she realizes that she needs to be more than an elected U.S. House of Representatives member for the work she knows that must be done. With little money, resources, and support Chisholm decides she knows how to enact change —  have her name on the 1972 presidential ballot. 

Produced by Regina King and her sister Reina King, both of whom starred in the film for the first time together. Reina portrays Shirley’s sister, Muriel, the tough-to-impress sister who feels embarrassed from all the pressure Shirley is getting from taking such a bold risk. 

The film was 15 years in the making, and years of research have been done to ensure the film is as accurate as possible. “Reina and I first decided that Shirley’s story was important to tell when we realized separately and together how many people did not know who Shirley was and these were people that we would just assume would know. After so many times of having that experience, we thought, ‘Wait a minute, this is not right. When you hear just even the last name, Chisholm, you should think of Shirley,” said Regina King in a statement. 

The film highlighted the importance of the youth of America when it comes to voting. On July 1, 1971, one year before the election,  the 26th Amendment lowered the voting age from 21 to 18. Meaning, the 1972 election was the first time that 18-year-olds would be able to exercise their right to vote. She understood the importance of the youth in the country and even had a youth coordinator to help motivate and meet young people where they were. Her campaign was led by minorities, the youth, and women which allowed her to enter 12 primaries and garner 152 of the delegates’ votes (10% of the total).

“I hope the younger generation watches this film and understands what it means to be the first at something and about creating your own lane and legacy. I hope the younger generation takes from this film that the possibilities are endless,” said Reina King. “ I feel like, in this climate, I see the younger generation being active and I hope Shirley just keeps pushing that along and helps them realize how strong their voices are.”

“Shirley” was the perfect movie to close out Women's History Month, especially during such a vital election year. Although it may have taken 15 years to bring the film to the big screen, I would argue it was perfect timing. It did however leave me with more questions about her upbringing and what happened after the election loss. I would recommend checking this film out on Netflix, as it is a story that needs to be told and shared. Of her legacy, Chisholm said, “I want to be remembered as a woman who dared to be a catalyst of change,” and that she will be. 

Ariyana Griffin is a graduate student at Morgan State University in Baltimore, Maryland. She is a California native and a graduate of Clark Atlanta University. Follow her on X: @Ariyanaaganee and Instagram: @ari.yana.g.