SpongeBob Has Autism: Superpower or Not?

“Representation as porous is he…”

08.02.24
SpongeBob Has Autism: Superpower or Not? (Getty Images)

SpongeBob SquarePants” is a show that needs no introduction, but I will give one anyway. It is one of, if not the biggest cartoon of the Gen Z demographic. Premiering in 1999 on Nickelodeon, the show has become the biggest money maker for not just Nickelodeon, and the parent company Viacom.

The series has spawned spinoffs, films, video games, and tons of memes, especially from many of the early episodes that we as Gen Z have grown up with. But with that, comes the question about who SpongeBob is and what he represents. This came to a head at the May Motor City Comic Con in Detroit, when a young man asked SpongeBob voice actor Tom Kenny if the titular porous yellow character had autism. Tom Kenny responded by saying that yes, SpongeBob is on the spectrum and that “That’s his superpower the way your superpower is.” 

This in turn has caused discourse among the autism community at large, with some people, especially on the r/autism subreddit on Reddit saying that the comment is very condescending to them. While others on the comments of the Twitter/X post reacted extremely positively to the revelation.

In my opinion, I am very glad that SpongeBob is on the spectrum. While the representation is cartoony, it creates this sense of whimsy that I feel is extremely lost in these dark days.

I applaud Mr. Kenny for this answer and the fact that he delivered it. Some may complain about being talked down to, but at the end of the day, he inspired a kid to be himself and let him know that his hero was like him. While Patrick Star is my favorite character in the show, I now have a newfound respect and appreciation for SpongeBob as I can see a piece of myself in him. 

Guillermo Guzman (he/him/they) is a Texas-based nerd who loves talking about video games, autism, and entertainment. Follow him on Instagram: @boofy_booferson and X: @Dimpy_Tenders.