Listen to Steve Lacy’s Brilliant Return With ‘Gemini Rights’

Even fellow Gemini Kanye West is a fan.

07.18.22
Listen to Steve Lacy’s Brilliant Return With ‘Gemini Rights’ (David Wolff-Patrick/Redferns via Getty Images)

As a follow-up to his 2019 studio album “Apollo XXI,” Steve Lacy’s new album “Gemini Rights” marks a shift in the singer's career. Once hesitant to pursue a “rockstar” lifestyle, now he’s ready to embrace superstardom and everything that comes with it. 

After a two-year hiatus, Lacy announced his return on Instagram late last month, but not before releasing his first single "Mercury."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHaQyv9Plv4

In the "Mercury" video, Lacy sports goggle-like sunglasses and dances around in a caged room. The one-shot video circles the room as the pop star constantly dips in and out of frame. 

His second single, "Bad Habit" is more pop-inspired than his previous releases, his vocals add color to the mesmerizing instrumental as he sings about the regret of not shooting your shot with someone. The driving force for this song and most of Lacy’s music comes from his hypnotic guitar playing. It acts not only as the main chord progression but as another percussion element keeping the song in rhythm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC8u7RJe-TE

Just days before "Gemini Rights," Lacy released "Sunshine" with Fousheé. He walks out of a warehouse, presumably the warehouse where he shot "Mercury," and into a performance space where he and his band start jamming out. About a minute into the rubberband-directed video, we find Fousheé suspended in mid-air as Lacy slowly escalates to meet her at the top. 

“Gemini Rights” is available via L-M Records and RCA Records.