Summer in My City: New York City

How to explore the city while thinking like a local.

07.29.24
Summer in My City: New York City (Getty Images)

When my peers in college speak of New York City, they often resort to what I call the “tourist traps.” There are spots, like Times Square on 42nd Street, which out-of-towners are known for visiting when they spend a few days here.

Times Square | Getty Images

But as a native New Yorker, I’m here to fill you in on the best (and secret) spots that are cheaper and more accessible. 

Say hello to Central Park

During the pandemic, because of virtual school, I would often spend my afternoons in the park taking a walk with friends or sitting on the grass to catch up. The park spans from 59th Street to 110th Street, and there is even ice skating, a carousel, and a castle hidden within the greenery. There are many fields to have a picnic in when the weather is nice, and the park can feel like a great escape from the hustle of NYC life. 

Play pickleball for $5 

I recently learned about CityPickle, which is located at Wollman Rink in Central Park.They offer community play for $5 per hour and provide a paddle for free. Community play is offered for two hours each day. However, because slots open a week in advance, I’ve noticed that it can be competitive to get a spot. 

Take a free fitness class on the Hudson 

I actually recently only learned about Healthy on the Hudson, a program that provides

free fitness classes on various piers on the Hudson. The month of July offers yoga, conditioning, and high-intensity interval training (HIIT) workouts. 

This is a great deal compared to SoulCycle which charges $135 for a 5-class package for students. These classes are a great way to interact with others who might be local to New York, too. 

Take advantage of free concerts and entertainment events

Last summer, I attended the NY Philharmonic Concert in Central Park with my fellow interns. We sat on a picnic blanket in the middle of Central Park and enjoyed some snacks from Trader Joes while listening to the free concert. While my public elementary school allowed us to see the Philharmonic at Lincoln Center, I was grateful to hear the music while in Central Park.    

There are other free opportunities, including Summer on the Hudson, which offers many events which are both athletic and more leisurely. I walked by a viewing of The Outsiders and found out that movies are screened for the months of July and August. I also was blown away by the opportunity to hear music in the park at numerous events, such as an event once a month titled Friday Freshen Up Musical Hour with different artists. Additionally, Lincoln Center’s Summer for the City offers free or choose-what-you-pay events for those in the city. The silent disco always seems to be a popular choice! 

Visit museums

I’m the type of person who tries to visit museums in different cities, so I become excited about the opportunity to see new exhibits and visit new museums. There are many free or pay-what-you-want museums, including the American Museum of Natural History, Metropolitan Museum of Art, P.S. 1 MoMA, and The Cloisters. 

Stop by a zoo

Even though I’m not a kid anymore, I can’t help but include this opportunity to see some of the best zoos in the country. My kindergarten class was able to take a field trip to the Bronx Zoo, and we did the same in middle school for science class. Some of the best opportunities my friends and I have enjoyed are the opportunities to see trainers with animals during feedings (sea lions and penguins), the butterfly garden, and seeing over 640 species at the Zoo.

If you’re in Central Park, you should check out the Zoo on the East Side of the Park! My mom and I visited during COVID-19, and it was a great escape from city life. While I grew up going to this Zoo, I still love the Tisch Children’s Zoo because of the opportunity to feed animals! 

Ilana Drake is a journalist from New York City and attends school in Nashville. Follow her on X: @IlanaDrake_.