‘Swarm’: Revenge, Satire as Sweet as Honey

03.17.23
‘Swarm’: Revenge, Satire as Sweet as Honey (Warrick Page via Prime Video)

Barbs, Swifties, the Navy. None of these fanbases compare to the monolithic group known only as “the Beyhive.” Named after their goddess Beyonce, these fans of different creeds, genders, races, and sexualities stop at nothing to defend their one queen bee. With this inspiration, Donald Glover poses the question, “what if these killer bees actually kill?” 

“Swarm,” streaming on Prime Video, follows Andrea, a teenage fan of Ni’Jah, who is as subtle as a sledgehammer Beyoncé allegory of this show. This character, played by Dominique Fishback, is glorious in her portrayal as a broken yet psychopathic killer, striking down tongues that dare to rise against her queen. Also in the show is Chloe Bailey, who plays Andrea’s best friend and fellow Ni’Jah fan. 

I’m going to be blunt with you all: this show is not subtle at all with its comparisons, even including a “South Park”-esque disclaimer at the beginning telling you to truly connect reality with its twisted fantasy. It is an addictive and wild ride that even though it deals with heavy topics and dark subjects, still shows a sense of hope even in the most twisted and distorted of ways.

This program is also a dark yet humorous take on parasocial relationships, stan culture, and the horrors of fanbases. Another project by renaissance man Donald Glover, this fierce show pulls no punches and pushes you dangerously in love with it as it weaves its twisted honeycomb around you. The blood flows like lemonade as Andrea relishes each kill as she says her twisted phrase, “who’s your favorite artist,” as her face contorts from rage to the contentment one feels blowing out the candles on their B’day. 

“Swarm” gets 4 out of 4 angry beehives. Get drunk in love with this irreplaceable show, streaming on Prime Video.