My Top Picks From Target’s BHM Collection

02.28.23
My Top Picks From Target’s BHM Collection (Target.com)

Baltimore, MDTarget’s initiative to highlight, support and uplift Black-owned businesses and heritage during Black History Month looks like it’ll last beyond the last day of the month. 

Their “Black Beyond Measure” collaboration has allowed designers, creators and entrepreneurs to thrive by putting them at the forefront of thousands of stores around the country. 

In 2021, the store also teamed up with United Negro College Fund to provide students who were studying technology and design at HBCUs a chance to learn about the industry and also receive a scholarship. Every year they also have an HBCU design competition which allows HBCU students to be a part of the “Black Beyond Measure” section during BHM. “100% of Target’s 9th annual Black History Month collection was designed by Black founders and creators,” according to its Target website. They encourage customers to “discover the Black founders and creators who inspire the next generation of Black creativity.” 

While Target supports Black-owned businesses year around, the Black History Month collection just hits different. Here are a few of my favorite pieces from this year's collection, and if you haven’t got your nearest Target and check it out.

Old school flashcards are always the way to go when it comes to learning and maintaining new information. These flashcards focus on Black history but the front of the cards also look very cool and the world makes a great addition to a coffee table or classroom. They were made by Urban Intellectuals, they have several decks of history cards.

Pillows are such great statement pieces, and these have great sayings on them in vibrant colors. Pillowscript was created by Dihandria Bright , she wanted to reimagine what the typical throw pillow looks like. Through her company she wants to provide a stylish way to decorate and display creativity.

The artwork on the shirt was designed by Mekenzy Linder, a fine Arts student  from Norfolk State University; she won the HBCU Design Competition. This graphic tee is not only affordable but the cream colored shirt  also has a very soft feel. 

I always look forward to buying a new planner to help me plan my year. The main thing I look for is functionality and a cute cover, this planner hits both requirements. Dennis Brown, also known as Bagger43, designed the artwork. He was born in the Philippines and grew up in Japan before moving to the United States in 2001.  

I love how cute and subtle these coasters are, they will definitely add the perfect amount of flare to your decor. They are designed by Domonique Brown, she is an illustrator and designer from Los Angeles.