Content in partnership with Washington Square News

Friendsgiving Dorm Dinner Classics You Need This Break

It’s easy to have a packed dining table — even if your kitchen is the size of a matchbox — with these five Friendsgiving dinner tips.

11.21.23
Friendsgiving Dorm Dinner Classics You Need This Break (Getty Images)

New York City, NYby Sar Perez

This story was originally published on New York University’s Washington Square News.

I remember my first Friendsgiving as a first-year. We were all huddled together in my friend’s tiny Third Avenue North kitchen, cooking in shifts without the right ingredients or pots and pans. After a few tiring hours of work, our Friendsgiving spread was complete.

Here are five dorm-friendly dishes you need to host the perfect mix-and-match dinner for your Friendsgiving. 

Mashed Potatoes

A Thanksgiving meal is not complete without some form of potatoes on the table. Remember, if just the plain potatoes seem too boring, you can always add meat, garlic or cheese to your concoction

Mac ‘n’ Cheese

I have always been a big fan of pasta in any form. There are times when I crave ravioli or a plate of spaghetti, but nothing hits quite like mac ‘n’ cheese — the classic dish that reminds me of home. 

Rotisserie Chicken

I know the turkey is the official mascot of Thanksgiving, but acquiring an uncooked turkey from the supermarkets in New York seems like a tedious and frustrating task — and one your roommate might not be thrilled about. It’s time to switch meats and settle for chicken, whether it’s pre-cooked from a package or a whole cooked rotisserie chicken, you’ll still get protein on the table. 

Cranberry Apple Salad

Though this may seem like a sophisticated addition to the list, salad makes the perfect side since it can be endlessly tweaked to fit your personal taste. 

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Pumpkin or apple pie might be the obvious choice for the dessert slot, but chocolate chip cookies serve their purpose just as well, if not better. 

Read the rest of the story at Washington Square News.