The Hilarious ‘Vince Staples Show’ Dropped on Netflix

Where dry humor meets chaos.

02.23.24
The Hilarious ‘Vince Staples Show’ Dropped on Netflix ((L to R) Andrea Ellsworth as Deja and Vince Staples as Vince Staples in episode 104 of The Vince Staples Show. | Courtesy of Netflix © 2024)

BaltimoreLife comes at you fast, especially when you are Vince Staples. His new Netflix comedy series, “The Vince Staples Show” showcases how chaotic life can be for the Long Beach rapper. From drama-filled family reunions to being creeped out at an amusement park, Staples goes through it all.

The show has been in the works for years; Staples released an episode four years ago on YouTube. In 2022, Netflix announced that the series was coming to the platform and that Kenya Barris, the creator of “Black-ish,” “Grown-ish,” etc., is an executive producer of the five-episode show. The show stars, was written and produced by Vince Staples.

Staples has graced screens before, mainly known for his roles in “Dope” (2015) and “White Men Can't Jump” (2023), and he debuted as Janine's boyfriend, Maurice, on the hit show “Abbott Elementary.”

The 30-year-old is known for having dry, satirical humor, which makes the series all the better. But more than that, through his music, Staples has shown he is an avid storyteller, which seeps through in his screenwriting. From the multiple-angle shots and great views of Long Beach, Staples brings authenticity to the screen.  The odd moments and somewhat awkward silence have you eagerly anticipating and waiting on what's next. He goes through the battle between being a celebrity and just a regular guy who makes music in Long Beach. While people often ask who he is, using his name sometimes gets him in trouble.  

"In 2019, I was fortunate to receive an opportunity to make a television show. After years of researching, brainstorming, global pandemics, and breakthroughs, we are finally here! I am honored to share with you the fever dream that is The Vince Staples Show," said Vince Staples. "Created at the crossroads where David Lynch meets Dave Chappelle, this slow burner forces you to find the humor in life's little things. I hope you have as much fun viewing as we did creating it. Thank you for watching."

Each episode starts with a warning, “This is a work of fiction. Any similarities to actual events are purely coincidental.” And extremely hectic is the best way to describe the first episode’s opening. We watch Staples go to jail for the most mundane offense — speeding. While there, Staples meets an aspiring singer who continuously serenades him. From there, his luck continues to go downhill. 

For example, Staples was involved in a bank robbery while trying to take out a business loan. Crazy, right? But because Staples knew the robbers, he was able to leave the scene safely. Each episode continues to test his luck, and somehow he comes out of these wild situations OK. And then there’s a memorable guest appearance in an episode, but I will not ruin it for you.

The series reminds me of “Everybody Hates Chris” simply because every episode has a new plot and can stand alone but eventually ties together at the end. Also, like in the real-life Chris Rock-inspired comedy, Staples seems to have a cloud of bad luck that follows him throughout the episodes. Each episode showcases where humor and chaos collide.

It is a short five-episode series that ranges from 19 to 26 minutes and is extremely fun to binge. If you are a fan of Vince Staples and enjoy his somewhat expressionless yet hilarious humor, then you will enjoy this limited series. The likelihood of another season or more episodes is unknown, but Staples is asking fans to “peer pressure” Netflix.

Ariyana Griffin is a graduate student at Morgan State University in Baltimore, Maryland. She is a California native and a graduate of Clark Atlanta University. Follow her on X: @Ariyanaaganee and Instagram: @ari.yana.g.