The Band is Back at Wilberforce

09.28.21
The Band is Back at Wilberforce (Photo: @wilberforce_u via Instagram)

Wilberforce University’s music program is making a comeback after a years-long hiatus, including the band. 

The program out of the nation’s first private Historically Black College and University in Ohio will be complete with a marching band and choir that will march at home basketball games, parades, high school football games and guest performances, according to HBCU Buzz.

James McLeod will serve as chair of the new music department, and Virgil Goodwine, an assistant music professor, will help rebuild the band and develop a curriculum for the degrees of Bachelor of Arts in music performance for instrumental vocal music and Bachelor of science in music business with a technology component. 

“The band program is an essential part of HBCU culture,” said McLeod. “The marching unit is a great source of pride and school spirit. It is our belief that in the rebuilding of the music department, the presence of a band would bring not only pride and school spirit, but also assist in reaching our enrollment goals exponentially.”

The university expects to have an operational ensemble in Spring 2022.