Females in Film: Women Killing it On- and Off-Screen

As the 96th ceremony takes place Sunday, watch out for who may dominate the Oscars this year and in the future.

03.09.24
Females in Film: Women Killing it On- and Off-Screen (Danielle Brooks | Emma McIntyre via Getty Images for WIF)

Los AngelesWhile it was disappointing that Greta Gerwig and Margot Robbie were snubbed by the Oscars this year, we still have a round-up of other amazing and talented women both in front and behind-the-camera who are nominated. We also want to mention other women were nominated. 

Ava DuVernay. This visionary Black director who was previously nominated by the Academy for her film “Selma” for Best Picture, recently released a new film titled “Origin.” This movie tackles the issue of racism in America head-on by comparing it to a caste system. While this film is very heavy and solemn in source material, one may prefer her lighter movies like “A Wrinkle in Time.” While she is not nominated this year, I still hope to see more of her at the Oscars soon.

Danielle Brooks. The musical reimagining of “The Color Purple” is based on the Tony Award-winning hit musical and is equally dazzling on screen. Director Blitz Bazawule captures the heartwarming and heart-wrenching tale of Black women in the South spanning several decades as they undergo a period of metamorphosis together while facing abuse, racism, and misogyny, nevertheless supporting and uplifting each other. This is Danielle Brooks's best performance as the strong and bold Sophia, a role she also played in the 2015 Broadway revival. Her character is the impetus for the other characters to rise up and take charge of their lives.  An evolution from the girl with BBQ sauce on her breasts, to a queen of the silver screen with her powerful voice and moving performance. 

Da’Vine Joy Randolph. Out of all of the films that are nominated for Best Picture, “The Holdovers” is the one movie that truly felt like a warm hug, especially with the powerhouse performance of Da’Vine Joy Randolph. The character of Mary was a complex one, a mother who lost her son in the war, and she played her to perfection. No spoilers, but the scene of her at the party is totally going to be the scene that the Oscars will show as an example of her ability. Her strength and vulnerability are the qualities that have had her sweeping this awards season.

Emma Stone.  “Poor Things” is Emma Stone’s fourth Oscar nomination. This film is very unconventional compared to the currently nominated films, as it is a reimagining of the story of Frankenstein through the eyes of sexual liberation and curiosity. Director Yorgos Lanthimos is no stranger to Emma as this is her second film with him. 

Justine Triet. This French filmmaker is making waves this year due to her courtroom thriller, “Anatomy of a Fall,” recently, she was signed to talent agency CAA due to this film. Hopefully, we can see more of her work soon. Her film captivated audiences with its intimate approach and small-scale but heavy feeling. 

America Ferrera. Yes, we are all aware of how THE Barbie herself, Margot Robbie, was snubbed, but America Ferrera not only delivered one of the most eye-opening speeches in cinema, but she also was the heart of the Barbie movie, providing the strength the dolls needed. Her monologue, while some people want to reduce it to rudimentary feminism, was enough of a push for women to discover who they are and take more of a direction with their lives and relationships. 

Chloe Zhao. While the 2021 Oscars ceremony where Chloe Zhao won is remembered more for how they kept teasing a posthumous Oscar for Chadwick Boseman that never came, it is important to recognize Zhao’s work on the film “Nomadland,” and how she is a master at using real locations and natural light while also getting realistic yet understated performances from her actors. Also, “Eternals” was good and Chloe deserves to make more sequels for this ensemble cast. Chloe is currently working on her new film, “Hamnet,” starring Paul Mescal and Jessie Buckley. Be on the lookout for that film. She didn’t win Best Director for anything.

Celine Song. As the director of the multiple Oscar-nominated film, “Past Lives,” she was also snubbed for Best Director. With “Past Lives” as her first film, it would have been amazing for her to be nominated, but it seems that the Academy is scared to have more than one female director. “Past Lives” is a film that is a bittersweet film about what if one followed an old relationship. It plays upon curiosity and fate whether it is worth reconnecting with someone and whether soulmates exist. 

Zipporah Pruitt, (she/her) is an L.A. homegrown journalist, who covers entertainment and culture. Follow her on X and Instagram: @zippzapps.