Content in partnership with True Star

‘Peter Pan’ Trailer Has Fans Questioning Tinker Bell’s Race

03.24.23
‘Peter Pan’ Trailer Has Fans Questioning Tinker Bell’s Race (Yara Shahidi will play Tinker Bell in the upcoming Disney+ movie "Peter Pan & Wendy". | Disney)

ChicagoI don’t know about you guys, but I’m ready for the summer of Black Disney princesses. Coming to Disney+ on April 28, is the live-action reimagining of the J.M. Barrie novel and the 1953 animated classic, the new “Peter Pan & Wendy” with “Black-ish” and “Grown-ish” star Yara Shahidi playing Tinker Bell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ji5U2sTlLU

“In making ‘Peter Pan & Wendy’, we set out to craft a film that honors both the original J.M. Barrie text and Walt Disney’s animated adaptation; we wanted to invigorate our retelling with emotional sincerity, an open heart, and a grand yearning for adventure,” director and co-writer David Lowery said in a statement. “Hundreds of incredible artists spent many years bringing this film to the screen; I’m excited for audiences to see their work, to go on this ride, and to rediscover an evergreen tale from a new perspective.”

Last month, Shahidi gave us our first look at her as Tinker Bell for a few seconds with a teaser from the trailer for the upcoming film. Shahidi also gives us a sneak peak of the new Tinker Bell doll. The doll is a beautiful smaller fairy form with her curls pulled into a messy bun with a braided crown and swooped baby hairs. It was designed to look identical to Shahidi’s portrayal of the Disney character.

Read more

This guest post is in partnership with True Star Media.