How an NYU Student Landed an Internship Working with Cardi B and Offset

A chance encounter outside Ramen Takumi led to Yvonne Song’s internship as a photographer’s assistant.

04.12.22
How an NYU Student Landed an Internship Working with Cardi B and Offset (Courtesy of Yvonne Song via Washington Square News)

by Olivia Liu

This story was originally published on New York University’s Washington Square News.

When I first met Yvonne Song before our big plate of Olio e Più’s spaghetti carbonara, she apologized frantically for looking horrible and having no makeup on — she was wearing fake eyelashes and looked amazing — because she had spent all day shooting for the brand PrettyLittleThing and had no time to get ready.

Completely confused and in awe, I asked her to explain and encouraged her not to leave out any details. We hustled through Greenwich Village to our reservation and she explained to me that she was an assistant to a photographer who shot for some pretty well-known celebrities. 

This interview has been edited for length and clarity. 

WSN: How did you get the position?

Song: It’s a funny story because the photographer found me on the street. I was outside of the ramen shop next to Weinstein Hall and he came up to me while I was holding my camera and lying on the street for my final project. He asked me if I was a photographer and we shared our Instagram Reels and portfolios. I basically got the job after that.

WSN: Who have you shot for before?

Song: I helped assist the photographer on one of Offset’s new music videos. I also assisted recently with the Versace x Cardi B shoot.

WSN: How has it been interacting with celebrities?

Song: I mean, it’s definitely intimidating to start to see celebrities but I think you just have to keep your career face on while shooting for them. So, you have to make yourself professional and treat them as normal people.

Read the rest of the story at Washington Square News.