11 OTP Relationships to Envy

10.26.18
11 OTP Relationships to Envy (Philippe Leroyer via Flickr)

October is Domestic Violence Awareness month, and we’re bringing some attention to it.

No relationship is perfect, but there are times when an intimate relationship is so unperfect, it's unhealthy. Signs vary from physical abuse to harm that might not be as noticeable, like mental and verbal abuse. One in three women and one in four men have been victims of some physical abuse by an intimate partner.

It’s important that we see the signs in our relationships that point to abuse, but let's also celebrate what it looks like to be in healthy and happy relationships.

Everyone deserves to be loved, cherished, and appreciated!

Here are some models of relationships that YR Media staff look up to, AKA they're “OTP”.

1. Barack and Michelle

via GIPHY

“I think that they're both just so sweet to each other and they obviously really respect each other. There's a sexist narrative [that says] the guy has to be the breadwinner and his wife can't be more powerful or have more say in things than him. That's not true with them. Obviously, he was the president, but his wife is just so cool and does so many really important things and is also incredibly influential and inspiring person. I think that it's really cool that he respects that in her and that doesn't intimidate him.”  -  Lucy Barnum

2.  Kylie Jenner and Travis Scott

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlWW_M6nbiX/?hl=en&taken-by=gq

“If anyone's a power couple, well besides Jay-Z and Beyonce, it would have to be them. Despite her being a Kardashian, I feel like she puts in a lot of work and so does Travis Scott. And the baby is cute.” - Isaiah Brock

3. Naruto and Hinata from the anime series Naruto

via GIPHY

“When they actually got together in the show, it showed that you don't always just get something on the first day, the first month, or even the first year. You have to work for it. And build a friendship and a relationship with the person.” - Josh Taylor

4. The relationships they see at home

via GIPHY

“My OTP would be my parents. Through thick and thin they've always stayed together. They've always supported each other no matter how hard things have been and how many times they may have wanted to throw in the towel. Life is messy and it's not always going to be perfect. They show me that just because it's not perfect doesn't mean that it can't work.” - Chris Weldon

5. The relationships they see at school

via GIPHY

“My OTP is my friend and her boyfriend. Their relationship is really good. It’s never harmful. If they fight, they find a way to come to an agreement and they never get physical. He never puts a hand on her. If she doesn't want to [have sex] he listens. They’re a really great couple.” - Arlette Sanchez

6. Their own relationships

via GIPHY

“This may sound a little self-centered, but am I allowed to say my own relationship? We've been together for three years now. We're both really good at putting ourselves in each other's shoes. We rarely say things that will be out of line to each other. We'll actually sit down and listen to each other instead of arguing and trying to be louder than the other person.” -  Cole Anderson

“I like how we give each other space and freedom to do our stuff and not cling to each other every single day, every second, 24/7. We don't like the same stuff, but he likes to listen to me talking about my favorite stuff, like anime and games and I like to listen to him talk about his favorite stuff too.” -  HuaQian Zhang

7. Callie and Arizona from Grey's Anatomy

via GIPHY

“I think that they're a really realistic portrayal of a queer couple that you really don't see on TV. And they don't end up together in the end. It's really sad, but that's how relationships work sometimes. It's not always perfect but they are friends in the end and they don't hate each other.” - Lucy Barnum

8. Glenn and Yvette from Beleaf in Fatherhood

“They are really genuine people from what I can see on camera and they are realistic. They don't glamorize being together and being husband and wife. They are kind of just doing their thing and taking it one step at a time. They don't act perfect.” -  Cyntra Bailey

9. Queen and Clarence

https://www.instagram.com/p/BofGgxQn-H4/

“ At first, they kept their relationship private and that's something I really feel is very necessary when you're getting to know somebody. You want to build something together, alone. It's a two-person thing.”- Maya Gillam

10. Dahlia and NYX from 27 Hours

via GIPHY

“It shows a strong romance between them. If one is in danger, then the other will come and fight for her. It doesn't matter what's happening; they're going to continue fighting for each other.” - Arlette Sanchez

11. Neil Patrick Harris and David Berka

via GIPHY

“They are the most adorable couple like ever. They're just really kind to each other, which I think is awesome. With celebrity couples, it gets a little iffy around which one is more successful but they don't see each other like that, it’s a communal thing. Oh gosh, they are so adorable. I love that. They played the newlywed game on The Chew and they got all of the answers except for like one. One of the questions was “if our relationship was a piece of candy what would it be?” And they both answered Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. And I was like, they are perfect.” - Sarah Ng

Not everyone can build something like what Barack and Michelle have, or anyone else on this list, but these couples are just a reminder of what everyone deserves.