Content in partnership with Washington Square News

Abortions Fully Covered by NYU Insurance Starting This Fall

NYU also plans to offer medicated abortion at its Student Health Center, and will stock emergency contraception at vending machines on campus.

03.31.23
Abortions Fully Covered by NYU Insurance Starting This Fall (Nina Schifano via Washington Square News)

by Tori Morales

This story was originally published on New York University’s Washington Square News.

All abortions will be fully covered for NYU students using a university-sponsored health insurance plan starting fall 2023, as the insurance policy now covers both elective and medically necessary abortions. NYU’s Student Health Center is also pursuing official certification so that it can dispense mifepristone, an abortion medication commonly used for terminating pregnancy through the 10-week mark.

Wellfleet, the university’s insurance provider, currently only covers medically necessary abortions in full. Elective abortions require a 20% co-payment, even when they are considered “in-network.” Starting next year, abortions for any reason will be fully covered when they are “in-network,” according to John Beckman, an NYU spokesperson.

“The university takes the issues of women’s health, reproductive health, and access to abortion services very seriously,” Beckman wrote in a statement. “Beginning with next year’s plan, neither type of procedure will any longer involve an out-of-pocket co-pay for a student treated by an in-network provider.”

Read the rest of the story at Washington Square News.