Infinite Aid: How to be an Ally to the Autistic Community

With these tips, we can become better allies to our autistic friends and coworkers to help them feel welcome and appreciated.

06.17.24
Infinite Aid: How to be an Ally to the Autistic Community (Courtesy of Red Rosenberg)

It is important to talk about ways to be an ally to peers diagnosed with autism. Neurotypical people are those who do not have autism or other neurologically atypical patterns of thought or behavior, as defined by Oxford Languages. Neurodivergent people are those who have autism or other mental differences. 

There has been a recent focus, for better or worse, on the representation of autism, but it has been largely coming from the viewpoint of neurotypical people, causing limited and or problematic depictions of autism in the media. Autistic people have been going to social media to make their voices heard and thanks to that, two autistic individuals have decided to go on the record to say how neurotypical people and neurodivergent people can become better allies. 

Cal State University, Northridge journalism student Red Rosenberg, 28, has autism and a sizable following on TikTok. They discuss topics of autism representation and the pandering that many neurotypicals try to do in the media. Here is what Rosenberg recommends:

Fix the media and make it more inclusive but not insulting. For example, ABC’s “The Good Doctor” presents as a feel-good show about a man who “overcame” his autism diagnosis and became a successful surgeon. This is a U.S. adaptation of a Korean drama that was twisted here in America and became very controversial among the autistic community. There are episodes where the protagonist, Shawn Murphy (Freddie Highmore), is racist, transphobic, and even ableist to many patients like a less charismatic version of “House M.D.” Even with consultant Melissa Reiner, who does have experience dealing with people who have autism, the show was still lacking in authentic representation.

Support autism organizations run by autistic people. The biggest outreach company for autism is Autism Speaks, which has its hands in many different areas all over America with many doctors, celebrities, and other organizations backing them up. Sadly, this company is run by people who believe that Autism is a disease that needs to be cured, as they have run advertisements such as the infamous “I am Autism” ad, directed by Academy Award-winning director Alfonso Cuarón of “Children of Men” and “Gravity” fame. The advertisement calls autism, not a difference, but a disease that needs to be changed and that can ruin and destroy marriages, peace, and other dearly held beliefs. Many autistic peers recommend the ASAN, or Autistic Self Advocacy Network, an outreach network run by people with autism, for people with autism due to the board members being all people on the spectrum. 

Stop using functioning labels due to them being ableist. Back when autism was becoming a hot topic, many people used two labels to differentiate between the different types of autism. These labels were “low functioning” and “high functioning.” Through the years though, these labels have become known as ableists due to them effectively putting people in boxes and just defining them to a single label. Another label that people used for high functioning was Asperger’s Syndrome, but that is ableist as well due to the history of Asperger’s Syndrome being used by the Nazis during the second world war to say which disabled people could work in the camps and which should be exterminated. 

Stop calling autistic meltdowns “tantrums.” When people with autism are overwhelmed and overstimulated, many say, regardless of age, that they are having a tantrum. This is wholly incorrect and needs to stop due to these being sensory overloads that are unregulated except by external stimuli. According to Red, “Tantrums imply choice, that we are choosing to do this. Trust me, I do not choose to have a meltdown.” 

Stop shaming autistic adults for acting autistic. When people with autism speak about their special interests, stim, or even use special equipment, some people who do not understand try to insult them. “I would talk about my special interests or whatever, and I’d be told to stop doing that because it’s “not appropriate” or “you’re too old for that,” Red said when speaking on this topic. 

Listen to autistic people and center autistic perspectives. In many circles, the autistic perspective is lost to many others, causing them to be drowned out and ignored. According to Pedro Morataya, a 26-year-old CSULA master’s student in hydrology with autism, “Educate yourself on these types of people when being around them because you never know… Also, spreading acceptance too where they can feel comfortable and not be in a bad setting.”

Hopefully, with these tips, we can become better allies to our autistic friends and coworkers to help them feel welcome and appreciated. 

Zipporah Pruitt, (she/her) is an L.A. homegrown journalist, who covers entertainment and culture. Follow her on X and Instagram: @zippzapps.