Climate Connections: Global Warming and Health

Check out the hidden link between how climate change affects mental health.

04.17.24
Climate Connections: Global Warming and Health (Getty Images)

Year after year, temperature records are being broken, with many years often hotter than the last. It was reported that March set a new monthly record for global heat for the 10th consecutive month. Though global warming has been around since the 1800s, the impacts of it are still fairly new and still being studied. However, these impacts are very closely tied to mental health outcomes.    

Thinking about climate change is worrisome, and often anxiety-inducing. What could happen next? Will my home be underwater? Will I be forced to move? These are all common thoughts and questions people ask themselves. These questions are not limited to any one person. However, those who live in underprivileged areas, children, minorities, and those who have health issues are those who are most drastically affected by these climate events and are often worrying about these questions the most. 

Part of this environmental fear is the fact that climate change leads to natural disasters that displace millions across the world every year. It has been shown that natural disasters caused by climate change such as floods, fires, or hurricanes lead to PTSD, anxiety, and other health issues. According to the American Psychiatric Association, a change in climate can even lead to physical issues such as dementia or the spread of disease, or even lead to forced migration, or job loss due to the disasters that wreak havoc on vulnerable communities. 

This all contributes to deteriorating mental and physical health in these communities. 

Supporting communities is an integral part of mitigating the effects of climate change and plays a vital role in improving psychological well-being. Mental health resources need to be readily available. Bolstering the health care system's psychological departments by increasing access and numbers of therapists, keeping appointment waiting times to a minimum, and making mental health resources a possibility for underprivileged populations. 

Being able to make a change and contribute to reversing the drastic effects of global warming ensures a brighter future for the planet and the people on it, not only physically but mentally. By reducing fossil fuel usage, turning to renewable energy, and keeping greenhouse gasses out of the atmosphere, we ensure a safer, happier, future for people and the planet. 

Ayushree Dahal (she/her) is a Bay Area-based journalist.