Another Potential Warning Sign of COVID-19 Surfaces

01.29.21
Another Potential Warning Sign of COVID-19 Surfaces (Photo: Morsa Images via Getty Images)

DeKalb, ILThe list of new coronavirus warning signs continues to grow. Researchers have found that “Covid tongue” may be another symptom of the virus.

There have been multiple cases of infected people complaining of tongue discoloration, enlargement and other mouth problems, said British researcher Tim Spector. 

Spector, who’s a professor of genetic epidemiology at King’s College London, said 35% of COVID-19 patients have non-classic symptoms in the first three days, so it’s important to pay attention to any warning signs. 

“Seeing increasing numbers of Covid tongues and strange mouth ulcers. If you have a strange symptom or even just headache and fatigue stay at home!” Spector wrote on Twitter.

Other than a sore throat or having a loss of smell and taste, other tongue and mouth issues aren’t on the COVID-19 symptom list from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 

Dr. Waleed Javaid, director of infection prevention and control at Mount Sinai Downtown in New York, said he wouldn’t consider “Covid tongue” as a diagnostic tool for the disease because it seems to occur in a very small population of people. 

“People react differently to different illnesses,” Javaid said, according to Yahoo News