Figuring Out Your 20s: Resetting Your Body and Soul

I am excited to balance my life and begin new routines to help me stay focused and grounded.

02.21.24
Figuring Out Your 20s: Resetting Your Body and Soul (Getty Images)

SeattleAfter feeling stuck in what felt like the rat race of life, I was highly burnt out, exhausted, and ready for a mental and physical reset. 

Constantly thinking about deadlines, being overwhelmed with anxiety and stress, and feeling like work consumed my life. I decided to take a week off from my corporate job and reset my body and soul.

Instead, I planned to go nowhere and challenge myself to face everything head-on and uncover things I didn’t know existed where I currently live. During this time, I learned much about myself and found ways to bring back mental and physical energy. 

Spent time being quiet 

There is always so much noise, and I always try to fill voids with sound. Not many of us give ourselves the room to let our thoughts breathe and create a space where we allow ourselves to be still. Spending time being quiet can look like praying in your living room, meditating on the beach, drawing, or writing so that you reduce the need for noise and interruption.

I intentionally took time to sit still, pray, and draw closer to what thoughts were coming up, challenging them, questioning, and getting a sense of where I currently am. 

Rediscovered passions and hobbies

All I did was work and rest at the end of the day to work again, so it was hard to live life for things that brought me joy and provided a sense of self. During my week off, I had a love awakened and rediscovered. I genuinely love creating content and writing stories. I no longer wanted what I produced attached to the pressure of being perfect and getting views. I also started reading for fun again. 

I learned the importance of returning to things that make us who we are.

Took myself out to a movie

I’ve always loved watching movies and treated myself to watching a movie on my “must-watch” list. I took the cheap route, going on Tuesday for the AMC discount Tuesdays. The film reminded me of how much I love cinematic experiences and storytelling and how much of a hopeless romantic I am. 

I vowed to make movie-going a regular experience because it gave me room to enjoy my company. 

Moved my body

With the desire to challenge myself to get back into a gym routine, I found various opportunities to move my body. I walked to the grocery store instead of driving, went to a Pilates class, and went to the gym. Resetting your body is linked to the movement of your body, so I took advantage of doing that in different ways.

I knew I needed to take a week off to reset, which did even more for me than I imagined. I feel much more relaxed and at peace compared to before. I am excited to balance my life and begin new routines to help me stay focused and grounded. I encourage you to find time to reset your mind and body, whether next weekend, next holiday, or on a day off.

Tracy Noze is a Seattle-based journalist.