Getting Healthy Without Society’s Standards

02.01.21
Getting Healthy Without Society’s Standards (Photo courtesy of Nina Roehl)

For as long as I can remember, weight has been an issue. When I stand next to my friends, I feel huge. I’m tired of feeling this way, so I’m making some changes. 

I’ve tried multiple times to go on a fitness journey, but it never stuck for long. My longest streak was during the beginning of quarantine. I bought workout guides, equipment, and started a meal plan. It felt good. 

Soon after I stepped on the scale, read the numbers, and my heart sank. It was like a flip of a switch — my mood instantly changed. I thought, “What was all that hard work for then?” I put my equipment away and got into bed.

It’s been a few months since then and I now realize when I first started my fitness journey, I was setting goals that were too high and based on unrealistic beauty standards from social media. 

So I threw out the scale. I know it’s easier said than done, but I’m going to focus on how I feel and what my body needs, and ignore society’s standards. Because in the end, it’s about what’s best for me.