Is Grind Culture Bad For Our Health?

12.14.22
Is Grind Culture Bad For Our Health? (Gregg DeGuire/WireImage via Getty Images)

ChicagoYou’ve probably seen the scene. A black sheer dress, The Cramps’ “Goo Goo Muck,” and an iconic dance sequence inspired by ‘80s goth moves. Netflix’s “Wednesday,” starring Jenna Ortega, has become a massive hit, especially in this scene featuring our beloved deadpan protagonist at a school dance.

Ortega choreographed the dance herself. She inspired a wave of fans recreating it on TikTok, allowing the “Addams Family” inspired show, directed by Tim Burton, to become Netflix’s top hit. But Ortega’s hard work doesn’t just end there.

In a recent interview with NME, Ortega revealed that while filming the iconic dance scene, she was awaiting the results of a COVID-19 test – a test that would come back positive.

“Yeah, I woke up and – it’s weird, I never get sick and when I do it’s not very bad – I had the body aches. I felt like I’d been hit by a car and that a little goblin had been let loose in my throat and was scratching the walls of my esophagus. They were giving me medicine between takes because we were waiting on the positive result.” Ortega said that filming the scene was “awful” because of her sickness.