Content in partnership with True Star

Illinois to Roll Out Drugstore Abortion Pill

03.17.24
Illinois to Roll Out Drugstore Abortion Pill (Getty Images)

ChicagoCVS and Walgreens chains have been certified by the U.S Food and Drug Administration to sell over the counter Mifepristone tablets (abortion pills) to patients with unwanted pregnancies.

States that will start providing the pill include New York, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, California and Illinois. Fraser Engerman, a spokesperson for Walgreens chains said, “We are beginning a phased rollout in select locations to allow us to ensure quality, safety and privacy for our patients, providers and team members.” CVS chains will begin selling in pharmacies in Massachusetts and Rhode Island. Additional health brands can obtain pharmacy certification by manufacturers of Mifepristone by making sure they have computer systems that protect the privacy of prescribers. Even though providing over the counter abortion pills may not generate a lot of revenue, it will be convenient for patients to get from healthcare providers they already have a relationship with. Making it a safe and confidential interaction.

Anti-abortion advocates have expressed their disapproval of dispensing abortion pills in states with laws against it. Walgreens have confirmed they will not release the medication in these states. According to the New York Times, abortion opponents criticize Walgreens and CVS, “to sell dangerous abortion drugs is shameful, and the harm to unborn babies and their mothers incalculable.”

Read more …

This guest post is in partnership with True Star Media.