Learning the True Meaning of Self Care

06.27.19
Learning the True Meaning of Self Care

Oakland, CAI used to think self-care meant face masks and pedicures. But after suffering a painful panic attack, I learned it’s much deeper than that.

During the second month of college, I was walking to class when I felt the right side of my body go numb. I lost feeling in one arm and half my face. I wondered, "Am I having a stroke?"

I rushed to urgent care. A doctor asked about my medical history. He confirmed it was a panic attack. He explained that under extreme stress, our bodies can mimic stroke symptoms.

Looking back at my first semester in college, I see how stressful it was. Adjusting to a new city was hard. I felt like a fish out of water. This was the first time I had been separated from my family.

Now, I’m a junior. I’ve adapted to college and my friends have become a good support system.

When I feel overwhelmed, I take time for myself. I go to my room and watch "Spider-man: Homecoming." That always cheers me up.

Next year, I’ll graduate college — which I know will mean new and stressful situations. But this time, I’ll be more prepared.