Make Weed Legal? Young MI Voters Weigh in

11.06.18
Make Weed Legal? Young MI Voters Weigh in (Photo by Matteo Paganelli on Unsplash)

MichiganA proposal to legalize the sale and use of marijuana for people over 21 is on the ballot in Michigan. If it passes, anyone over 21 could possess up to 2 ½ ounces of marijuana and grow up to 12 plants.

YR Media asked a few Northwestern Michigan College students about the marijuana proposal. Here’s what they had to say.

Emily Perkins, 20

"I know that many states and countries have been legalizing marijuana for recreational use, and I think it’s just how things are going to go and we just kinda have to catch up with everyone else. It could be good...I’m hoping the money we get from taxing can go to public education, public works and just bettering the state."

Jazmynn McQueer, 20

"I don’t really have anything against it, but I just think it’s gonna be a little difficult for law enforcement...  I think it would probably be a big problem if it’s getting into the hands of people under the age of 18. And maybe more people would get into more car accidents."

Jonathan White, 21

"I think there’s going to be a cultural divide with it, because we have a lot of farming communities. Traverse City is a big wine community, so I think it will be interesting to see how it will change the culture of Michigan, especially where we live." 

Dan Youker, 22

"I think it’s about time. I don’t know if people are going to smoke weed that much, really. I don’t think much is going to change...We have a lot of things that weed tax revenue could go towards. I hope that it’s properly taxed and regulated. I hope that it can go to roads, or something like that would be nice."