Diving Into TikTok’s Summer Trend: ‘Blue Mind Theory’

Dr. Wallace J Nichols’ book, “Blue Mind”, blooms into a viral trend in support of the ‘Blue Mind Theory.’

07.03.24
Diving Into TikTok’s Summer Trend: ‘Blue Mind Theory’ (Getty Images)

With the summer season quickly approaching and people fitting vacations into their schedules, a TikTok trend called the “Blue Mind Theory” has emerged. The “Blue Mind Theory,” supports being around natural elements, especially bodies of water, to calm and relax the mind. 

The “Blue Mind Theory” is widely supported by psychologists and stems from marine biologist Dr. Wallace J. Nichols’ book, “Blue Mind,” released in 2014. The book suggests that indulging in the restorative benefits of being in or near bodies of water can boost mental health and creativity.

“According to Blue Mind science, since humans are mostly made of water, our brains see it and think, “I’m in the right place,” claims Natalie Hamingson, a news writer for Red Bull.

In May 2023, the “Blue Mind Theory,” started to gain traction on TikTok with content creator Ronja Edsmo’s post. From there, over a thousand commenters and hundreds of creators used the hashtag #bluemindtheory embracing the benefits of being around the beautiful waters, promoting happy feelings and safety while reducing stress and anxiety.

Nichols’ legacy as a marine biologist is brought to light amid his recent passing on June 10, 2024. The National Marine Sanctuary Foundation issued a statement on June 19 to credit Nichols’ exceptional work and accomplishments. The statement highlights the importance of caring for our planet’s waters, emphasizing that while the Earth’s vast water nurtures our well-being, it is equally crucial for us to protect and preserve them.

“As J shared in a Foundation in a recent blog, ‘When we take care of our sanctuaries, they can take care of us.’ J’s legacy will live on in those that embrace this view of ocean connection and conservation,” stated President and CEO Joel R. Johnson.

The “Blue Mind Theory” and Nichols’ legacy teach us to pause on stressful days, thus prioritizing health. This helps us focus on nature and notice the world, learning all it has to offer. 

@rach5s

♬ Sweet Disposition FeelingBlew – Feelingblew

Kyana Early (she/her) is a journalist from the San Francisco Bay Area who covers entertainment and culture.