Making a College Mental Wellness Plan

08.23.23
Making a College Mental Wellness Plan (Courtesy of True Star Media)

ChicagoMany people feel overwhelmed or scared going into college, and that’s perfectly normal. Who wouldn’t feel scared? It’s a new environment, with new people, and a new lifestyle. As much as college can be freeing to be independent and experience broader horizons, it can also make you feel lost and anxious.

So, it’s important to take your fears into consideration and make a plan on how you’re going to tackle things when it gets rough. Here are some ways you can add to your own mental wellness plan for college.

Participate In Social Activities

It’s good to have at least one social activity, such as a club that you can count on to always be happening at a specific time and build into your schedule.

Limit Screen & Substance Usage

The JED Foundation is a foundation created specifically to aid mental health across the country, especially in students. One of their biggest recommendations is to limit screen time and substance use while upset, as it can make stress worse, even if it seems to help in the immediate moment. 

Create For Yourself

In college, it’s easy to feel like all you create is purely for a grade. So, it’s good to have an artistic output that is only for yourself — no need to worry about deadlines or getting a good score. You can draw, write, bake, create music, anything.

Use Your Resources

Chances are, your college likely has some sort of resource to aid student mental health. Whether this is a designated place to relax, counselors to reach out to, or student groups, they are willing to help you in all areas from academic stress to nutrition. 

Know & Use Your Coping Mechanisms

When you’re stressed, it’s incredibly easy to spiral. Most times, we find it’s easier to stay in bed than get up and face the day, and the same is true with mental health. But it’s important to remember the best coping mechanisms for you personally, and remind yourself why you use them.