Figuring Out Your 20s and Imposter Syndrome

You are right where you are for a reason, capable and deserving of success.

05.01.24
Figuring Out Your 20s and Imposter Syndrome (Getty Images)

Defined as feeling anxious and not experiencing success internally, imposter syndrome manifests in the workplace as being unable to internalize achievements and downplaying accomplishments, being reluctant to ask for help, and ultimately lacking self-confidence at work.

For Gen Z, one survey found that 66% were likely to experience imposter syndrome. However, Anne Marie Squeo believed Gen Z is less likely to suffer from imposter syndrome than other generations. 

Imposter syndrome became a word that peers always used after starting a full-time job in Corporate America. Being in unchartered territory and navigating a new industry meant constantly questioning all knowledge and skills acquired from my past and struggling with self-confidence. 

After being out of school for two years, some lessons learned about imposter syndrome have helped me show up confidently at work.

• Accept that you are capable: You can always learn anything you don’t know, and there’s nothing wrong with playing to your strengths. An executive leader recently shared that they still struggle to be good at this one thing, highlighting that just because you’re not the best at one thing does not mean you are not deserving of being where you are.
  • Mentors will help you tremendously: Having people in your corner who can help you navigate your industry or company will do wonders for your career. Mentors are great reminders that they were once in your shoes, and if they’ve gotten to the place they’re in now, you can continue learning and get to the places you desire.
  • Track your accomplishments: Spending 30 minutes a day or 1 hour a week tracking all you’ve done within the week is the best proof to believe you are doing great work and contributing significantly where you are.
  • Don’t be defined by what you do: Realize that you are a whole person and are more than just your job or your talents and skills. It’s easy to get sucked into feeling like if you’re not doing how you’d like in your career, then you are missing the mark, but your life is so much more than what you attach to yourself. 

It’s easy to get sucked into feeling like someone will find out that you’re not as talented or intelligent as you really are. You are right where you are for a reason, capable and deserving of success. 

Tracy Noze is a Seattle-based journalist.