Tips for Connecting From Afar for Holiday Celebrations

Five ways to stay connected with loved ones during the holidays even when you are miles apart.

12.13.23
Tips for Connecting From Afar for Holiday Celebrations (Getty Images)

New York City, NYThere was once a time when it seemed impossible to connect with loved ones during the holiday season if you were living in a different city, state, or country. 

However, after the beginning stages of COVID-19, there have been many new ways implemented where one can be with family and friends even if you are thousands of miles away. 

Here are five different ways you can share and feel the warmth of the holiday season despite being miles apart. 

Virtual Holiday Decorating 

Coordinate a time with your friends and family to create ornaments and set up decorations together virtually around your space. You can do DIY projects together or already have the decorations purchased and place them around your area to your liking. This way, you are still doing traditions together, just in different locations. 

Virtual Movie Night 

Pick a favorite or must-watch holiday movie to see with your friends and family this season. Many streaming platforms such as Hulu and Disney+ allow you to host watch parties with loved ones.  

Virtual Games and Challenges

Host online games or challenges with loved ones from holiday-themed quizzes to online board games for an opportunity to turn distance into virtual bonding and shared laughter.

@brandonjtao Holiday Decoration Pictionary! #virtualholidayparty #pictionary #awwapp #christmas #christmasparty #zoomparty #gameidea ♬ Deck the Halls - Christmas

Shared Cooking 

Through video calls or Zoom sessions, exchange cooking tips, and family recipes, and then cook a holiday meal with your friends and family. You can also turn it into a bake-off to see who cooks the fastest or who has the best-decorated dessert.

@naturallykimmyy send this to your best friend ✨ virtual bestie date idea: holiday edition 🎄 my best friend and i have been long distance best friends since we were literally tweens so we love to shake up our facetime dates and this was a fun one 🥹 1) go to target 2) pick up a decorating kit (cookie or otherwise and totally on sale rn) 3) pick a drink you both can make at home or can buy at the store 4) facetime while you’re baking 5) pick a movie to watch together and decorate your cookies together! we had so much fun and highly reccomend this for any long distance best friends! I forced her to watch the After series 🤣 #virtualdate #holidaytiktok #frienddateideas #bestfriends #bestfriendgoals #bestfriendforever #holidayactivities #target #holidayvibes #holidaytreats #afterseries ♬ Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree - Brenda Lee

Shared Playlist 

Create a collaborative holiday playlist and add songs that hold special memories of the season or from past experiences with your loved ones. Use this playlist whenever you have a virtual game night, bake-off or just want to be reminded of the good times shared with your friends and family.

Kailyn Rhone, (she/her) is from Florida, but is an NYC-based journalist covering education, technology and culture. Follow her on X: @onlykailyn.