Gabby Douglas Prioritizes Mental Health With Break From Social Media

"My life has never been smooth or easy. I have carried a heavy weight on my back for quite some time and it has weighed me down, physically, mentally, and emotionally. So many things and people have tried to crush and break me." -Gabby Douglas

08.24.22
Gabby Douglas Prioritizes Mental Health With Break From Social Media (Paul Archuleta via Getty Images)

ChicagoGabby Douglas is taking a step away from social media for the sake of her mental health, according to People Magazine.

The two-time Olympic gymnast recently took to Instagram to announce her social media hiatus “to work on myself and focus on my mental health.”

"My life has never been smooth or easy. I have carried a heavy weight on my back for quite some time and it has weighed me down, physically, mentally, and emotionally," Douglas posted. "So many things and people have tried to crush and break me."

"I refuse to be defeated by this weight, I refuse to be hardened by this weight. I want to feel light and happy again. I want to be the best representation for all of you and be the best version of myself," she added. "I love you all so much and I am forever grateful for every single one of you. Your love and support does not go unnoticed. Don't forget to take some time off for yourself.”

Douglas has been vocal about her mental health and how it relates to her athletic career, also sharing support for Naomi Osaka when she decided to withdraw from the 2021 French Open. 

"Every person knows what they need to do to fix themselves, to heal themselves, and everyone's different," said Douglas. "Being an athlete, we go through so much already. If you need to step back, that's what you need to do."