Content in partnership with Talker

Which Generation Gives Better Life Advice? Gen Z Says They Do

Gen Z also thinks they have more wisdom than Baby Boomers.

01.10.24
Which Generation Gives Better Life Advice? Gen Z Says They Do (Seema Miah via Unsplash)

Nearly half (47%) of Americans think they could write a self-help book based on their life experiences, new research suggests.

A recent survey of 2,000 United States adults discovered that youth and wisdom are not mutually exclusive, with Gen Z (81%) much more confident they could pen a book with life advice than Millennials (48%) or Baby Boomers (28%).

The average person starts reading self-help books at 14, but Gen Z readers (60%) are more likely than older generations to begin reading these books between ages 10 and 15.

People begin perusing the genre about three years after their first encounter with fiction.

Almost half (49%) write down their favorite quotes from books that inspired them, and the average person remembers about three of these quotes off the top of their head.

Among the most memorable sayings people recalled were “The journey of a thousand mile begins with one step,” “Slow and steady wins the race,” “Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game,” “Your focus determines your reality,” and “Do or do not, there is no try.”

Conducted by OnePoll on behalf of ThriftBooks, the survey also found seven in 10 (71%) believe any book can be considered a “self-help” book if it had a profound impact on someone’s life.

What motivates people to read this genre? Wanting to overcome specific challenges (57%), improve their career (49%), gain knowledge and skills (49%) and cope with stress or anxiety (49%).

When it comes to sub-genres people read the most, respondents look for books containing advice on relationships (39%), motivational reads (29%), insights on social skills (28%) and parenting tips (27%).

“The self-help genre’s rising popularity shows more and more people are becoming open to it,” said a spokesperson for ThriftBooks. “Whether people are looking to improve their personal or professional lives, there are books that offer advice on just about everything, with a wide range of styles from serious to funny and quirky.”

When looking for advice that helps them make decisions, the top two sources people look to are e-books (48%) and physical books (39%) — more so than websites and blogs (19%), social media and influencers (9%) or podcasts (5%).

Originally published by Talker News